Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Happy driving

I love to drive on winding back roads. I don't know if it is because I live in the city at a 4-way stop sign intersection or that my normal commute--or ride to my parents or ride to my MiL's--is 6 miles mostly on one road. Perhaps it is because most tree and field lined curving back roads remind me of driving to my favorite little yellow house in Maine, a place that could only be reached after many hills, twists and turns.


My father can find his way just about anywhere in New England on back roads. He relies partly on memory, partly on landmarks but mostly on dead reckoning. I like to think I have his same knack for navigation by memory and dead reckoning, but I don't exercise it often enough. Today I did.

I turned left instead of right out of the parking lot at UNH. I had taken this trip before after summer classes in years past, with my parents after a hockey game and once with my husband when I got us completely lost. Though the ride wasn't that much different than the alternative, having a curving road WITHOUT a double yellow line made it more relaxing for me. Despite the heat and humidity, I drove with the windows open and enjoyed the fresh air. I didn't end up where I thought I would (missed a left somewhere!) but the clock didn't matter today. I got to where I was going a bit more refreshed than where I had left.

How often can you say your ride home was inspired by a TED Talk?


2 comments:

  1. Caryl, I LOVE that you did this! Sometimes we get so caught up in being efficient, we forget to be just happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. Simply this. Thank you for such a beautiful reminder to take the curvy road sometimes. You may get lost along the way, but that's part of the fun.

    ReplyDelete