Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Recharging, Reflecting, Revising

The last school year brought many firsts for me -- my first year using the Responsive Classroom approach, first year as co-president of the union, first year with a full time para in the classroom to support a student, the first time I had a brand new to the country non-English speaker, and my first year taking on a student teacher. It was a busy, busy year.

Looking back, I am not surprised that the blog fell by the wayside (as did my time to connect with educators on Twitter) as the first months were overwhelming. Once I stopped writing somewhat regularly, it was no longer a habit. I've taken some time to recharge my batteries this summer and now I need to dust off the blog and get back into the habit.

This week, I am taking a course at the University of New Hampshire's Literacy Institute. It is my fifth summer taking a course at the Institute, and I returned this year to many friendly faces and in just the first day was filled with ideas and excitement for the school year. I started attending the Literacy Institute after I had obtained my Masters degree and rediscovered my love of learning. I came across a brochure by chance and a course piqued my interest. Each summer I returned, motivated to earn credits to earn a bit more in my paycheck. This summer I have no financial incentive--I've reached the max number of credits. I just love learning and working with other educators who feel the same.

One thing I rediscover each year at the Literacy Institute is my absolute fear of writing, sharing my writing, and avoidance of writing. Not coincidentally, writing is also the area of instruction I am constantly searching for tips and tricks. This week I am taking a course on Social and Emotional Learning in the Reader's-Writer's workshop with Mike Anderson (@balancedteacher). After writing today, we shared some thoughts on the Social and Emotional Learning competencies used while writing and sharing our writing. What do we do when we are stuck? How do we come up with an idea? How can I share my story that I don't feel is good when someone else shared a great story?

Mike said something that struck a chord with me: "It would be impossible to coach kids if we didn't know what to do." How am I going to support my students as writers if I am not writing myself?

So this is my restart, my do over. I am dusting off this blog to reflect on my practice in order to learn, and as a habit of writing. I also began a notebook to practice writing in a different way with sketchnotes:

I can take the time to analyze why I haven't been writing, what I have been doing instead, or I can just get back to it. I know the analysis would just be another form of avoidance. So here I go again....Writing used to be a huge part of my life, and I am bringing it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment