Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Time constraints

I am constantly feeling like time rules my life. Wake up in time to work out, schedule my days to the hour, get home in time to cook dinner, make sure I have time to read, time to clean (not usually) and a bit of time to spend with my husband too.* I want to make time to read and learn this summer, while also taking time relaxing and having fun, but there doesn't seem to be time to fit it all in. For the first time I am prioritizing time for learning and connecting because I want the upcoming school year to be an amazing one!

Today I was working with other first and second grade teachers and again the topic of time came up. We were working on a writing plan (well being introduced to) and I couldn't figure out where I would find the time. Writing instruction has always been lacking in my classroom, I hate to admit. (My young learners should be writing daily!) With mandated programs and so much being required of me, social studies, science and even writing has slowly slipped through the cracks.

So today I stood up and shared my fears with the group, assistant superintendent included: "I know my students need to write more to become better writers, and I need to provide them with model lessons and mentor texts, but which part of the mandated programs can I eliminate to make the time for writing and writing instruction?" There was a pause but they have an answer for everything and the answer was the I need to incorporate writing with what I am already teaching, and weave it into instruction with math, science and social studies. I do this and have done this in the past, though perhaps not as often as I should.

For nearly 8 years I have continued to ask the people in charge, the people who seem to have all the answers what I should do, where I can find the time. The answer they give makes it seem so simple and that I should just weave together everything I am supposed to teach and make it fluid. I know the reality of the classroom is not that simple and until I meet my students I truly do not know how it will go. For now I will plan on what I know is best for students and make sure I am teaching writing...plus some of the pieces of the mandated program that I know are what my students need in the time we have together.

*Looking back I need to make time to write as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment